Rental terms for car rental in Denmark
Thank you for renting with Europcar!
Europcar Østergaard Biler A/S (hereinafter referred as Europcar) is a Danish company with its registered office at Jens Baggesens Vej 90N, 8200 Århus N. It is registered at the registry court of Århus under the CVR number 19986292.
In accordance with the present general Terms and Conditions of Hire (T&Cs), Europcar will have the following obligations if a rental agreement is concluded:
- rent a Vehicle (car, utility Vehicle or motorcycle) to you (as defined in section 1 below) for the period of time (not exceeding 30 days) that is specified in the Rental Agreement (the “Hire Period”) plus any accessories that you wish to rent which will also be indicated in the Rental Agreement.
- provide certain mobility services included in your rental and offer you other services which are available at an extra cost.
The contractual relationship between you and Europcar is governed by the following documents:
- the Rental Agreement, including if applicable its specific conditions (the document signed by you at the moment of the check-out or the first day of rental)
- the booking confirmation email (where you have pre-booked your rental online)
- the Europcar Insurance and Protection Provisions (“Insurance and Protection T&Cs”);
- the Recommended Tariffs Guide;
- specific Terms and conditions
- the present General T&C of Hire which apply to all aforementioned documents.
In case of a contradiction between the documents above listed, the terms of the first document will prevail over the subsequent documents.
SUMMARY OF YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS *
* General Information, in accordance with the Order dated 17 March 2015 regarding precontractual information for consumers and publication of prices of vehicle rental services
- Conditions relating to length of time driving licence held:
The minimum period for holding a Danish driving licence is one year. This length may vary according to the category of Vehicle rented. All the details are set out in the table in article 2 “Who can rent and who can drive?” of the T&Cs.
- Information regarding rental prices and possible surcharges applicable in stations and airports:
Our tariffs are set mainly according to the length of your rental, and the category of Vehicle rented. Surcharges may also be applied if you collect your Vehicle from an airport. You will find all the information to enable you to understand the pricing structure applied in the Europcar Recommended Tariffs Guide attached to your confirmation email (if a rental reservation is made online) and available from Europcar station and/or on the Europcar website.
- How fuel is billed:
All vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel. Please note that Europcar may require you to provide a proof of fuel purchase (receipt).
If you have not returned the vehicle with a full tank of fuel, you will be charged with the cost of the missing fuel including a refuelling charge. Please refer to the Recommended Tariff List attached to your confirmation email and available from Europcar stations and/or on the Europcar website. For more details, please see article 18 “What is the fuel policy?”.
The deposit is intended to cover additional hire costs.
If you have paid for your hire in advance, the amount of the deposit is DKK 2.500 (or the equivalent in local currency).
If you have not already paid for your rental when you made the reservation, the rental cost will also be blocked to your credit card. In this case, the amount blocked to your credit card will be the rental cost plus DKK 2.500 (or the equivalent in local currency). The deposit shall be released at the end of your Hire Agreement if no other costs are payable. For more information regarding the deposit, please see Article 19 “Must I pay a deposit before picking up the Vehicle?”
- Other conditions and tariffs which may apply:
Late cancellation: If you cancel your rental without providing 48 hours’ notice (48 hours prior to the start date and hour mentioned in your reservation confirmation email), the amount paid in advance shall be refunded after the deduction of a penalty of DKK 375 for late cancellation.
No show: If you have not cancelled your reservation and you fail to show at the station to collect your Vehicle (on the start date and hour mentioned in your reservation confirmation email), the amount paid in advance shall be refunded after the deduction of a penalty of DKK 750 for “no show”.
Late return: If you return the Vehicle beyond the return date/ hour initially scheduled in your rental agreement, we shall invoice you for these additional days at the current rental rate plus a fixed charge of DKK 375 (inclusive of VAT) during which the Vehicle has been kept beyond the Hire Period. A grace period of 29 minutes after the return date and hour specified on your rental agreement will be applied for late returns.
Information regarding rates: For more details regarding our pricing please see article 8 “What is included in the price you pay?” and Article 9 “What are the other fees/charges that I may have to pay?”
- Insurances included in your rental:
Your rental includes:
- Third Party Liability Insurance
Third Party Insurance means insurance that provides the driver of a Vehicle with protection against liability for another party’s claims for damage to his/her property or for bodily injury or death arising out of an incident arising whilst you are using the Vehicle. Third Party Cover is a mandatory legal requirement and it is therefore an integral part of our rental service. The cost of it is included in the rental charge.
Third Party Liability insurance does not cover:
- bodily injury or death that you (the driver at the time of the collision) may suffer; or
- any damage to or loss of your personal property or possessions; or
- any damage caused to the Vehicle
- Collision Damage Protection (CDW/CDI – Collision Damage Waiver/Insurance) :
Our collision damage protection product limits your financial exposure for damage caused to the Vehicle whilst it is in your care. If you purchase our standard collision damage protection product and comply with the applicable laws and the Local Rental terms and conditions then we will pay for the cost of damage to the Vehicle that exceeds the Excess amount. The Excess amount is determined by the category of the car and the type of protection product you have purchased.
You can reduce or eliminate the Excess amount by purchasing our medium/or premium collision damage protection products instead of the basic collision damage protection offering.
The Collision Damage Protection will not protect you in the following circumstances:
- You will be financially liable for - loss or theft or damage to objects or property (including Baggage or merchandise) that is deposited, retained or transported in or on the Vehicle by you or a Passenger.
- You will be financially liable for the full cost of the damage to the Vehicle if the damage is caused:
- by the willful acts of the driver; or
- by an explosion or fire in (or to) the Vehicle because you are using it to transport dangerous goods (dangerous goods being any product or substance that, due to its nature and/ or main characteristics, is reasonably considered to be dangerous and which, if not transported with appropriate caution and safety, could cause harm to the Vehicle, and to any Third Party within a reasonable distance of the Vehicle); or
- by its total or partial theft or an act of vandalism whilst the Vehicle is left parked unattended.
- by your negligence (which is behavior that falls below the standards expected of a reasonably sensible person in similar circumstances) or the negligence of your Passengers (for example but not limited to a fire caused by the use or disposal of cigarettes or cigars);
- because the keys are lost or stolen
- Loss of or damage to your own property that is being transported or kept in or on the Vehicle during the rental period
- Theft Protection (THW/THI – Theft Waiver/Insurance)
Our theft protection products limits your financial exposure for loss of the Vehicle if it is stolen or if it is damaged because it is subject to an attempted theft or the Vehicle is subject to an act of vandalism whilst the Vehicle is left parked unattended during your rental. If you have purchased this product then, provided you have complied with the Local Rental terms and conditions, we will pay for the costs arising from the theft, attempted theft, or act of vandalism that are greater than the Excess amount. The Excess amount is determined by the category of the car and the type of protection product you have purchased. You can reduce or eliminate the Excess amount by purchasing our medium/or premium theft protection products instead of the basic theft protection offering.
The Theft Protection will not protect you in the following circumstances:
- If the Vehicle is stolen or damaged because of your negligence or more specifically (but without limitation) as a result of keys being left in the Vehicle whilst it is unattended or having been delivered to an unauthorized person; Your failure to use the anti-theft system appropriately, any failure by you to return the keys to us or if you left the Vehicle unlocked when you weren’t using it;
- Theft of or damage to personal and / or work related goods or possessions and any goods being transported in or on the Vehicle.
-Assistance plus protection
For the duration of the rental, you have the benefit at no extra cost of a 24/7 breakdown and assistance service regarding the use of the vehicle.
Breakdowns caused by you or as a result of using the wrong fuel or for fuel failures, breakage or loss of the Vehicle's keys, as well as punctures and/or damage to tires, battery failure, are excluded from the scope of the free service and will be subject to a flat charge.
Our Assistance Plus protection limits your financial exposure for these flat charges in such circumstances. If you comply with the applicable laws and the Local Rental terms and conditions then we will pay for the cost of damage to the Vehicle that exceeds the Excess amount. You can at a daily cost exclude such flat charges by purchasing our Road Side Assistance protection product.
- Complementary protection products offered by Europcar:
- Glass, lights and tire protection (WWI – Wheels and Windscreen Insurance)
Our Glass, lights and tire protection product will apply to any damage that occurs to glass (excluding sunroofs or panoramic roofs), lights or tires in circumstances of normal use of the Vehicle during Your rental.
If, and only if, such damage occurs as a result of a collision then the cost to repair or replace glass (including sunroofs or panoramic roofs), lights or tires will be covered by the collision damage protection
You are not protected under this product:
- against the financial liability for damage to the Vehicle if it arises because of willful acts or negligence that you commit whilst using the Vehicle and which causes damage: or
- for any damage to sunroofs or panoramic roofs; or
- for the theft, fire or vandalism
- for the administration costs we may incur in handling any damage file.
- Personal Accident protection/insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident protection provides cover for a lump sum indemnity if you are disabled or you die as a result of a collision (or an accident). On vans and trucks the Personal Accident protection also covers goods insurance up to DKK 25.000 in connection with road accidents if the goods have been properly packaged.
This Personal Accident protection does not cover:
- any of the costs set out above if the expense was not incurred as a direct result of the collision or incident occurring whilst you were in control of the Vehicle or if you intentionally caused or brought about the accident or collision; or
- any costs relating to treatment you were receiving or medical conditions you were suffering from before the accident or incident occurred; or
- any damage to or loss of your personal property or possessions; or
- any damage caused to the Vehicle
- Price calculation of protection products
The price calculation of the protection products varies according to the category of the Vehicle, the duration of the rental and selected Europcar protection options (Basic, Medium, Premium). For more details on Europcar protection options, please consult the following page: Forsikringer
- Other Additional services:
Europcar offers you the various additional services that are not included in the price of your rental:
List of additional services / products
Young Driver (< 26 years)
One way (the right to collect and return the Vehicle in two different agencies)
Additional rental days
Insurances / other protections
Pick up and return out of hours
Other equipment kit (straps; blanket, etc.)
Vehicle specific cleaning service
Lost/Theft of Keys
lost keys / Wrong fuel
Delivery / Recovery Vehicle
You will find all the information enabling you to understand the pricing applied for its additional services in the Europcar Recommended Tariffs Guide attached to your confirmation email (if a rental reservation is made online) and available from Europcar station and/or on the Europcar website.
- Obligations in terms of maintenance, repair, assistance in case of incident or accident
Vehicle maintenance - During your rental, you must take all necessary protective measures to keep the Vehicle in the same condition as that in which you have taken possession.
You will be liable towards Europcar for any detrimental consequence arising out of any infringement to the abovementioned maintenance obligations.
You will find all the information enabling you to understand the pricing in the Europcar Recommended Tariffs Guide attached to your confirmation email (if a rental reservation is made online) and available from Europcar station and/or on the Europcar website.
For the duration of the Hire Period as agreed with Europcar, you have the benefit at no extra cost of around the clock breakdown service linked to the use of the Vehicle.
The Assistance service includes, among other benefits:
- Technical assistance for the rental Vehicle
For more details on what is included and excluded by the assistance offered by Europcar, please refer to Appendix 1 "General Conditions of Assistance" at the end of these General Conditions of Rental.
Accident - In case of accident, as soon as you will have been aware or you will have the capability and within five (5) business days at the latest, you shall (i) report the accident to the Europcar pick-up station (or the assistance service) and, if necessary, the local police authorities and (ii) file an amicable declaration of motor vehicle accident.
Payment: We prefer payment with a common creditcard, but when renting from group O, A, B, F and I, you can also choose to pay a deposit in cash and pay the total rent fee when returning the car. When renting from group E, H and above it is mandatory with 2 international creditcards.
Europcar accepts the following credit and debitcards when renting a car in Denmark:
When renting from all groups of cars:
- Europcar creditcard.
- Amercian Express.
- Diners Club.
When renting the following groups of cars: A, B and F:
- Dankort (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- Visa Electron (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- Maestro (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- VISA Dankort (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- MasterCard Debet (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- MasterCard Direct (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- UnionPay (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)
- V Pay (dog kun ved grp. A, B og F)