Rental terms for car rental in Denmark
SHORT EXCERPT OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Statement of Truth – Reckless driving (L127)
The renter, who him/herself must drive a car belonging to Europcar, signing this contract declares on his/her honour that the renter in question is not currently charged or prosecuted and have no criminal record in relation to:
- Involuntary manslaughter under aggravated circumstances (straffeloven §241, 2 pts.),
- Negligent and significant damage to someone’s body or health under aggravated circumstances (straffeloven) §249, para. 2),
- Intentionally causing obvious danger to someone’s life or mobility (straffelovens §252, para. 1),
- Driving under the influence with a blood alcohol level at 2,00 or above, or an alcohol concentration in the exhaled air of more than 1,00 mg per L air. (færdselslovens §117, para. 2 no. 1),
- Intentionally causing damage to others or their belongings, or intentionally causing obvious danger hereof and/or to have driven a motorized vehicle in a gross negligent and reckless way. (færdselsloven §126, para.1 no. 4),
- Driving at speeds of 200 km/h and above (færdselsloven §126, para.1 no.10) or
- Exceeding speed limit of 100% or more, when driving more than 100km/h (færdselsloven §126, para. 1 no.11).
The renter further declares on his/her honor that the renter will not use the vehicle for the mentioned offenses or other offenses which may lead to confiscation of the vehicle, cf. section 133a of færdselsloven.
Renters who rent cars from Europcar for the purpose of letting others than the renter drive the car have a duty to ensure that persons driving the car make a similar statement. This applies, among others, although not exclusively, to drivers added to the lease, the renters’ employees and persons who, with Europcar`s permission rent the car to third parties. In case you need to add an additional driver during the rental period, this can be done by filling an online formular. In case you are in the need of further information, please contact the Europcar Rental Office where you have rented the car.
Renters who rent cars from Europcar for the purpose of letting other persons than the renter drive the car also have a duty to make reasonable inquiries to find out whether the driver of the car may constitute a risk of using the car in violation of the above provisions, and to take all reasonable steps to secure their and Europcar's financial position should the car be confiscated.
The renter is obliged to compensate Europcar for any loss Europcar may suffer as a result of the car being confiscated as a result of the renter, or another person to whom the renter entrusts the car, is driving the car in violation of the above provisions.
- Conditions relating to length of time driving license held:
The minimum period for holding a Danish driving license is one year. This length may vary according to the category of Vehicle rented. All the details are set out in the table in section 2 “Who can rent and who can drive?” of the T&Cs.
- Information regarding rental prices and possible surcharges applicable in stations and airports:
Our tariffs are set mainly according to the length of your rental, and the category of Vehicle rented. Surcharges may also be applied if you collect your Vehicle from an airport.
You can find all the information needed to understand the pricing structure in Europcars list of prices and fees, that can be found on Europcars website and accessed through the link in your email confirmation (if your reservation is made online). You can also retrieve the List on Europcars Rental Offices. Click here to assess the list.
- How fuel is billed:
As a rule, all vehicles are delivered with a full tank of fuel.
If you have not returned the vehicle with a full tank of fuel, you will be charged with the cost of the missing fuel including a refueling charge. Please note that Europcar may require you to provide a proof of fuel purchase (receipt). Please refer to the List of Prices and Fees, that can be found on Europcars website and accessed through the link in your email confirmation. You can also retrieve the list at Europcars Rental Offices. Click here to assess the list. For more details, please see section 18 “What is the fuel policy?”.
The deposit is intended to cover additional rental costs.
If you have prepaid your rental, the amount of the deposit is DKK 2.500 (or the equivalent in local currency).
If you have not already paid for your rental when you made the reservation, the rental cost will also be blocked to your credit card. In this case, the amount blocked on your credit card will be the rental cost plus DKK 2.500 (or the equivalent in local currency). The deposit will be released at the end of your Rental Agreement if no other costs are charged. For more information regarding the deposit, please see section19 “Must I pay a deposit before picking up the Vehicle?”
- Other conditions and tariffs which may apply:
Late cancellation: If you cancel your rental without providing 48 hours’ notice (48 hours prior to the start date and hour mentioned in your reservation confirmation email), the amount paid in advance shall be refunded after the deduction of a penalty of DKK 375 for late cancellation.
No show: If you have not cancelled your reservation and you fail to show at the Europcar Rental Office to collect your Vehicle (on the start date and hour mentioned in your reservation confirmation email), the amount paid in advance shall be refunded after the deduction of a penalty of DKK 750 for “no show”.
Late return: If you return the Vehicle later than the return date/ hour initially scheduled in your rental agreement, we will invoice you for these additional days applying the current rental rate plus a fixed fee of DKK 375 (VAT included). A grace period of 29 minutes after the return date and hour specified on your rental agreement will be applied for late returns.
Information regarding prices and fees: For more details regarding our pricing please see section 8 “What is included in the price you pay?” and section 9 “What are the other fees/charges that I may have to pay?”
- Insurances included in your rental:
Your rental includes the below mentioned insurances. In the event of any damage that may be covered by one of the insurances mentioned below, the renter is obliged to complete and hand in a damage report to Europcar as described below in section 14. If the renter does not hand in a sufficiently filled damage report Europcar may charge the renter for all costs regarding the damages without regard for the insurance.
- Third Party Liability Insurance
Third Party Liability Insurance means insurance that provides the driver of a Vehicle with protection against liability for another party’s claims for damage to his/her property or for bodily injury or death arising out of an incident arising when you are using the Vehicle. Third Party Liability Insurance is a mandatory legal requirement, and it is therefore an integral part of our rental service. The cost of it is included in the rental charge.
Third Party Liability insurance does not cover:
- bodily injury or death that you (the driver at the time of the collision) may suffer; or
- any damage to or loss of your personal property or possessions; or
- any damage caused to the Vehicle
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW/CDI – Collision Damage Waiver/Insurance)
Our collision damage waiver product limits your financial exposure for damage caused to the Vehicle whilst it is in your care. If you purchase our standard Collision Damage Waiver product and comply with clauses of the rental agreement, the applicable laws and our Local Rental terms and conditions then we will pay for the cost of damage to the Vehicle that exceeds the Excess amount, apart from the below mentioned exceptions. Payment of the excess applies to all damages that occur during the rental period, also damages where the renter has no knowledge of the damage and is blameless.
The Excess amount is determined by the category of the car and the type of protection product you have purchased.
You can reduce or eliminate the Excess amount by purchasing our medium/or premium collision damage protection products instead of the basic collision damage protection offering.
- The Collision Protection does not cover loss or theft or damage to objects or property (including Baggage or merchandise) that is deposited, retained, or transported in or on the Vehicle by you or a Passenger.
Furthermore, under the following circumstances the Collision Damage Protection will not cover any damages to the vehicle, and you will be financially liable for:
- Damages caused by deliberate or gross reckless acts of the driver.
- Damages due to the driver’s negligence (which is a behavior that falls below the standards expected of a reasonably sensible person in similar circumstances e.g., collision with viaducts, bridges, overhangs etc. that are lower than the height of the vehicle.
- Explosion(s) or fire in(onto) the vehicle caused by smoking in the vehicle or due to the fact that it’s used to transport dangerous goods (dangerous goods being any product or substance that, due to its nature and/ or main characteristics, is reasonably considered to be dangerous and which, if not transported with appropriate caution and safety, could cause harm to the Vehicle, and to any person or subject within a reasonable distance of the Vehicle)
- Damages due to theft or partial theft of the vehicle or an act of vandalism whilst the vehicle is left parked, unlocked and without supervision.
- Theft of vehicle or part of the vehicle because the keys are lost, stolen, or left in the vehicle.
In case of damages as mentioned above, aside from full payment for the repairment of the damages, without regard for the excess, you can be held accountable for Europcars financial loss in the period the vehicle is unavailable for rental (compensation for loss of use) and for the Damage Management Fee connected with the handling of the case.
- Theft Waiver (THW/THI – Theft Waiver/Insurance)
Our theft protection waiver limits your financial exposure for loss of the Vehicle if it is stolen or if it is damaged because it is subject to an attempted theft, or the Vehicle is subject to an act of vandalism while the Vehicle is left parked and unattended during your rental. If you have purchased this product then we will pay for the costs arising from theft, attempted theft, or acts of vandalism that are greater than the Excess amount, if you have complied with the Local Rental terms and conditions. The Excess amount is determined by the category of the car and the type of insurance purchased. You can reduce or eliminate the Excess amount by purchasing our medium/or premium theft protection products instead of the basic theft protection offering.
The Theft waiver will not protect you under the following circumstances:
- If the Vehicle is stolen or damaged because of your negligence or more specifically (but without limitation) because of the keys being left in the Vehicle whiles unattended or if it is turned over to an unauthorized person. If you fail to use the anti-theft system appropriately, any failure by you to return the keys to us or if you left the Vehicle unlocked when you weren’t using it.
- Theft of or damage to personal and / or work-related goods or possessions and any goods being transported in or on the Vehicle.
- Assistance plus Waiver
For the duration of the rental, you have the benefit of a 24/7 breakdown and assistance service regarding the vehicle you rented at no extra cost.
Breakdowns caused by you or because of using the wrong fuel or lack of fuel, breakage, or loss of the Vehicle's keys, as well as punctures and/or damage to tires, battery failure, are excluded from the scope of the free service and will be subject to a fixed charge.
Our Assistance Plus Waiver limits your financial exposure for these fixed charges in such circumstances. If you buy the Assistance Plus Waiver and comply with the applicable laws and the Local Rental terms and conditions, then we will pay for the cost of damage to the Vehicle that exceeds the Excess amount. You can at a daily cost exclude such fixed charges by purchasing our Roadside Assistance Waiver
Europcar offers you extended insurance products that limits the excess.
- Extended Waiver products offered by Europcar:
- Glass, lights and tire Waiver (WWI – Wheels and Windscreen Insurance)
Our Glass, lights and tire Waiver product will apply to any damage that occurs to glass (excluding sunroofs or panoramic roofs), lights or tires in circumstances of normal use of the Vehicle during Your rental.
If, and only if, such damage occurs because of a collision the cost to repair or replace glass (including sunroofs or panoramic roofs), lights or tires will be covered by the Collision Damage Waiver
You are not protected under this product:
- against the financial liability for damage to the Vehicle if it arises because of willful acts or negligence that you commit whilst using the Vehicle and which causes damage: or
- for any damage to sunroofs or panoramic roofs; or
- for theft, fire or vandalism
- for the administration costs we may incur when handling any damage file.
- Personal Accident Waiver/insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident Waiver provides a lump sum if you are disabled or die as a result consequence of a collision (or an accident). On vans and trucks, the Personal Accident Waiver also covers goods up to DKK 25.000 in connection with road accidents if the goods have been properly packaged.
This Personal Accident protection does not cover:
- any of the costs set out above if the expense was not incurred as a direct result of the collision or incident occurring whilst you were in control of the Vehicle or if you intentionally caused or brought about the accident or collision; or
- any costs relating to treatment you were receiving or medical conditions you were suffering from before the accident or incident occurred; or
- any damage to or loss of your personal property or possessions; or
- any damage caused to the Vehicle
- Price calculation of waiver products
The price calculation of the waiver products varies according to the category of the Vehicle, the duration of the rental and selected Europcar waiver options (Basic, Medium, Premium). For more details on Europcar waiver options, please contact Europcar Denmark or your local Europcar Rental Office.
- Other Additional services:
Europcar offers you various additional services that are not included in the price of your rental.
You will find all the information enabling you to understand the pricing applied for the additional services in the Europcar List of Prices and Fees that can be found on Europcars website and accessed through the link in your confirmation email (if a rental reservation is made online). You can also retrieve the overview at Europcars Rental Offices. Click here to assess the list.
- Obligations in terms of maintenance, repair, assistance in case of incident or accident
Vehicle maintenance - During your rental, you must take all necessary safety precautions to keep the Vehicle in the same condition as it was when the tenure began.
You will be held liable towards Europcar for any detrimental consequence arising out of any infringement to the abovementioned maintenance obligations.
You will find all the information enabling you to understand the pricing in the Europcar List of Pricing and Fees that can be found on Europcars website and accessed through the link in your confirmation email (if a rental reservation is made online). You can also retrieve the overview at Europcars Rental Offices. Click here to assess the list.
For the duration of the Rental Period, you have the benefit of a 24/7 breakdown service, should the vehicle breakdown while in use. This service is offered at no extra cost.
The Assistance service includes, among other benefits:
- Technical assistance for the rental Vehicle
For more details on what is included and excluded by the assistance offered by Europcar, please refer to Appendix 1 "General Conditions of Assistance" at the end of these General Conditions of Rental.
Accident - In case of an accident or a new damage please report the incident by filling out an accident/incident report as soon as you are aware and within five (5) business days. The report form can be found at Europcar.dk. If necessary, contact the local police authorities.
This web page is last updated on 01.11.2023.